Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lycopene for Lunch?



On my lunch break I was trying to decide if I should try the pasta with tomatoe and basil or the chicken alfredo. Then I remembered, Lycopene! I ended up choosing the pasta with tomatoe and basil, because tomatoes contain a powerful antioxidant called lycopene that neutralizes free radicals and offers a small dose of sun protection. The best way to receive the benefits of lycopene would be eating cooked tomatoes (i.e. Marinera sauce)or even applying lycopene topically. One of my favorite brands Eminence Organics of Hungary sells a Tomatoe Sun Protection SPF 16 cream that is excellent for the skin. Since lycopene is fat soluble with small molecules, if applied topically it absorbs very well into the skin to nourish it. So next time you're at the pasta station and you have to choose red or white, you know what to do!

1 comment: